Settled by descendants of Southold’s founders, this little farming hamlet was first known as West Southold Plantation. For a short while, in the mid-nineteenth century it was called Hermitage because of an elderly recluse who lived on Peconic Lane. But for most of its existence the hamlet has been named Peconic after the Native American word for Small Plantation.
Near the rail road tracks stands what was the Jefferson store, at the heart of the village. It was built in 1855 by Captain Horace Prince, owner of a lumber yard in Peconic. When President Grover Cleveland was in office he appointed Jessie Lewis Case, Postmaster of Peconic. The second floor of the store was a hall where plays and dances were held and it served as a kind of community center for the hamlet.
North on Mill Lane was the Old Mill, built in 1841, made use of both water and wind power. The mill was wrecked by a terrible November storm in 1898, which tore the arms of the windmill off and ripped open the roof the structure.
To the south on Peconic Bay the land between Broadwaters and Hutchinson’s creeks is known as Indian Neck. Once the site of an artist colony during the early 20th century, Indian Neck was the home of famous and influential painters such as the Wiles family and the Prellwitzs.