The Land Preservation Department and volunteer Land Preservation Committee make recommendations to the Town Board on all aspects of farmland protection and open space preservation. The Department and Committee review and make recommendations on proposed acquisitions of interests in real property using moneys from the Community Preservation Fund, review proposed uses on properties subject to easements and manage the Town's open space holdings.
Preservation is accomplished under the Town Farmland Program, the Town Open Space Program and under the Community Preservation Fund Program. Partnerships with Suffolk County, New York State, the Federal Government and not-for-profit land preservation groups add to local efforts.
Over 8,800 acres of land have been protected within the Town of Southold. Since 1983, the Town has actively funded land preservation projects through bonds and funds generated through the Peconic Bay Community Preservation Fund Act. From 1983 through 2016, Southold Town (through its preservation program and partnerships) has protected over 3,360 acres of open space and farmland. These lands are identified on the Town of Southold Protected Lands Map
The Land Preservation Committee meets twice a month and the Land Preservation Department is open daily. You are encouraged to speak to the Coordinator to discuss questions, potential applications or to arrange to participate in any of the regular meetings of the Land Preservation Committee.
For information pertaining to completed Town preservation projects and recorded Easements, the following links are available:
Forms and Application
- Southold Town Land Preservation Application
- Request for Agricultural Structure Placement on Land Subject to Town Development Rights Easement
- Suffolk County Community Preservation Fund Peconic Bay Region Form
- Southold Town Farm and Farmland Protection Strategy (2000)
- Peconic Bay Community Preservation Fund Financial Statement (2017)
- Peconic Bay Community Preservation Fund Financial Statement (2016)
- Peconic Bay Community Preservation Fund Financial Statement (2015)
- Town of Southold Protected Lands Map (2016)
- Town of Southold Farmland Protection Strategy Map (1999)
- Trails and Stewardship