Stormwater Management Control Plan
Preparing a Stormwater Management Control Plan
All Building Permit applications that involve one or more of the six activities listed on the Chapter 236 - Stormwater Management Work Sheet must include a Stormwater Management Control Plan (SMCP). The SMCP must address all stormwater runoff and erosion control issues associated with a construction project or land development action. It should include the following on a 1-2 page plan:
- Stormwater design calculations demonstrating sufficient capacity to capture runoff from a 2" rainfall event
- Location, size and detail drawings for all proposed drainage structures
- Location, size and detail drawings for all downspouts, leaders and underground piping
- Location of the swimming pool (if applicable) and its associated discharge ring
- Test hole(s) indicating soil type and depth to groundwater
- Limits of clearing with the total square footage clearly labeled
- Location and detail drawing(s) of the silt fence and/or straw bale erosion and sediment controls
- Location and detail drawing(s) of the construction entrance(s)
- Location of topsoil stockpile area(s)
Please refer to the SAMPLE Stormwater Management Control Plan for an example of the plan and design elements described above. Standard Stormwater Details are also available for download as a PDF.
For Architects and Engineers, these files are also available in Autodesk's AutoCAD 2013 format.
Stormwater Management Control Plan Review
A completed Stormwater Management Control Plan Check List, including all required additional documentation, must be submitted to the Building Department in order for the application to be deemed complete for review. When required, a Stormwater Management Control Plan must be approved by the Engineering Department prior to the issuance of a building permit by the Town Building Department. Upon approval, the SMCP will become part of the Building Permit for the project and as such is subject to all inspection and enforcement actions as per the Town Building Code.
Please note that if the development action is subject to SPDES Construction Permit Requirements, the applicant must also provide a copy of the Notice of Intent submitted to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) prior to receiving a Building Permit.
Any questions about the SMCP review and approval process should be directed to the Engineering Department.
Planning Application Requirements
Site Plan and Subdivision Applications submitted to the Planning Department must include a complete SMCP as part of the application package. The SMCP will be forwarded to the Engineering Department for review. Upon determination that the plan meets the requirements of Chapter 236, the approved plan will become part of the Planning Board's Site Plan or Subdivision approval.
Please note that if the development action is subject to SPDES Construction Permit Requirements, the applicant must also provide a copy of the Notice of Intent submitted to the NYSDEC prior to receiving final Site Plan or Subdivision approval.